The Project 25 Technology Interest Group (PTIG) has developed a new whitepaper on the benefits of P25 technologies for use in Fire ground operations. Many improvements to the P25 Standards, the P25 vocoder and the P25 products available make it a good time to revisit P25 as a technology for Fireground use. A summary of the key points is below. The complete whitepaper can be found using the following link.
Summary Benefits of using P25 mission critical radio equipment for the Fire ground include:
- Improved P25 performance in background noise. P25 equipment can now achieve 10 to as much as 25 dB improvements in background noise reduction.
- Tone Signaling – DTMF, Knox and single tone is now supported.
- Paging – P25 Paging receivers are now available.
- Improved Coverage – P25 Phase 1 technology is about +7dB better than 25 KHz Analog.
- Enhanced Signaling – Talking Party ID, Group Calls, Unit-to-Unit Calls, All Calls, Emergency Alerts, Emergency Calls, Call Alerts, Radio Check, Radio Unit Monitoring and others.
- Location Services – Integrated GPS receivers provide location information.